The Faculty of Humanities aims to:
• be recognised nationally and internationally for its excellent contribution in education, research and community work in the human sciences, including the languages, the social sciences and the arts;
• be the faculty of choice for students and staff who are passionate about the arts and the human sciences and the contribution these make to society;
• equip our students with the skills and knowledge necessary to excel in their professional careers and in other spheres of life in which they are expected to make a contribution;
• recruit staff in the Faculty who are well-known for their excellence and that they are supported by systems and procedures which are not only transparent, user-friendly, efficient and effective but also motivational and inspirational;
• reflect the aspirations of the communities that we serve in our academic offerings and research outputs. Our alumni are loyal supporters of Faculty initiatives and they are our ambassadors in the private and public sectors of our country.
The Faculty's mission is:
• the education and training of high level students in the Humanities by ensuring that the teaching programmes are internationally competitive and locally relevant;
• the conducting of high quality research, making the Faculty internationally competitive and locally relevant;
• the production of excellent teaching and research results in the Humanities by employing the best possible academics and support staff and developing and using them to their fullest potential;
• the application of management principles, guidelines, processes and practices to maintain and improve excellent academic performance in teaching, research and administration;
• to ensure, through our work performance and service rendering, that values are pursued to the benefit of the individual, the University and the communities we serve;
• to significantly enrich students with the unique added values offered them by studies in the Humanities and stimulating innovation in dealing with “people” problems.