News from the Department of Mercantile Law
By Dr Femida Cassim
Posted on 10 April 2012
(2011 - April 2012)
Publication of New Books
Since the commencement of 2012, members of the Department of Mercantile Law (the “Department”) have had several new books published. These include:
Prof Chris Nagel is the editor of all of the above books, and his co-authors include several members of the Department:
- C Nagel et al Business Law 4ed (2011) Butterworths and Kommersiëlereg 4ed (2011) Butterworths; and
- C Nagel et al Commercial Law 4ed (2011) Butterworths and Besigheidsreg 5ed (2011) Butterworths.
- A van Niekerk, MA Christianson, M McGregor, N Smit & BPS Van Eck Law@work 2ed (2012) LexisNexis, in which Prof Stefan Van Eck is a co-author.
- P Delport et al Henochsberg on the Companies Act 71 of 2008 (2012) Lexis Nexis, in which Prof Piet Delport is the editor and a co-author.
- FHI Cassim, MF Cassim, R Cassim, R Jooste, J Shev & J Yeats Contemporary Company Law 2ed (2012) Juta, in which Dr Femida Cassim is the author of six chapters.
In November 2011 Ms Felicia Snyman, a tutor and dissertation student in the Department, presented her research findings from research that she had conducted in her final year of her LLB studies at an international conference arranged by the Centre of Human Rights of the Faculty of Law at the Eduardo Mondlane University in Mozambique. The theme of the conference was the social protection of migrant workers in the SADC region who are infected by HIV/AIDS.
International Journal Articles
Thus far in 2012, accredited international law journals have published the following articles written by members of the Department:
Both of these articles originated from conference papers presented by the respective authors at the IAITL Conference held in Nicosia, Cyprus in September 2011.
- BPS Van Eck “Employment Agencies: International Norms and Developments in South Africa” The International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations (2012) Vol 28(1) 29 – 44;
- Maleka Femida Cassim “Some Difficult Aspects of Pre-Incorporation Contracts in South African Law and Other Jurisdictions” (2012) 13(1) Business Law International 5 – 26.
Ms Jacolien Barnard was recently promoted to Senior Lecturer.
The Department bids a fond farewell to Mrs Hetta Beer, who has been the Departmental Administrator for almost 27 years. The Department also extends a warm welcome to our new Departmental Administrator, Mr Happy Shabangu.