WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT(Techniques, Interventions and Manipulations)
1. Game Ranch Management. J du P Bothma (Editor) ISBN 0 627 02471 8. Van Schaik (2002)
2. Intensive Wildlife Production in South Africa. J du P Bothma and N van Rooyen (Editors) ISBN 0 627 02549 8 Van Schaik. (2005)
3. The Kruger Experience. HC Biggs, JT du Toit and KH Rogers (Editors). ISBN 1-55963-982-2. Island Press. (2003)
4. The Mammals of the Southern African Subregion. JD Skinner and CT Chimimba. ISBN 10-0-521-84418-5. 2005
5. Wildlife Resources. HH Roth and G Merz. ISBN 3-540-061357-9. Springer (1997)
6. Ecosystem management: Adaptive Community-based Conservation (2002). Gary Meffe, Larry Nielsen, Richard Knight and Dennis Schenborn.
Prerequisite undergraduate reading for ecology. The ecology course for M Med Vet (Fer) is offered at 700 (honours) level. To allow sensible and active participation in the discussion sessions based on the reading matter for the honours course, undergraduate background knowledge is essential. The following three recommended texts would supply the necessary background:
1. "Ecology: individuals, populations and communities". Begon, M., J. L. Harper and C. R. Townsend Blackwell Scientific Publications. Oxford. (about 900 pages and available in paperback)
2. Principles of Conservation Biology. Meffe, G. K. and C. R. Carroll (1997) (2nd Edition) Sinauer Associates, Inc. Sunderland, Massachusetts.
3. Essentials of Conservation Biology. Primack, R. B. (2002) (3rd Edition). Sinauer Associates, Inc. Sunderland, Massachusetts.
Further reading in general and applied ecology is recommended. Consider the following texts:
4. Science of Ecology (1994) ; Brewer
5. Ecology – concepts and application (2005) : Molls
6. Wildlife Ecology and management (1999) : Bolen & Robinson
CAPTURE AND TRANSLOCATION
1. The Capture and Care Manual: Capture, Care, Accommodation and Transportation of Wild African Animals. AA McKenzie (Editor). ISBN 0 620 17608 3. Pretoria: Wildlife Decision Support Services (1993)
2. The Capture, Care and Management of Wildlife. M la Grange. ISBN 0 627 02611 7. Van Schaik. (2006)
3. Chemical and physical restraint of wild animals (a training and field manual for African species): Eds. Mike Kock, David Meltzer and Richard Burroughs (2006)
1. Zoo and wild animal medicine. Murray E. Fowler and R. Eric Miller [eds]. ISBN 0721694993. St. Louis, Mo.; London: W.B. Saunders, 2003
2. Infectious Diseases of Wild Mammals ( 3rd edition -2001) :Eds. Elizabeth Williams and Ian Barker
3. Parasitic Diseases of Wild Mammals ( 2nd Edition –2001) : Eds : William Samuel, Margo Pybus and Alan Kocan
4. Infectious Diseases of Wildlife: Detection, Diagnosis and Management (Parts 1 & 2): O.I.E. Scientific and Technical Review. Volumes: 21(1) and 21(2), 2002.
5. Emerging Zoonoses and Pathogens of Public Health Concern: O.I.E. Scientific and Technical Review: Vol 23, 2004.
6. The Ecology of Wildlife Diseases (2002): Eds : Hudson, Rizzoli, Grenfell, Heesterbeek and Dobson
7. Conservation Medicine: Ecological Health in Practice. A Aguirre RS. Ostfeld G M Tabor C House, MC Pearl (Eds). ISBN 0915150937. Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press (2002)
8. Practical Wildlife Care. L Stocker. ISBN 13 978-1-4051-2749-3. Blackwell (2000)
1. Wildlife Forensic Pathology (2003): Richard K. Stroud
1. The behaviour guide to African mammals (1995): Richard D Estes
2. Environmental Ethics (2002) : Eds. : David Schmidtz and Elizabeth Willott
3. Practical statistics for Field Biology (2003) : Fowler, Cohen and Jarvis
1. Animal Disease Act (Act 35 0f 1984), soon to be replaced by the Animal Health Act (Act 7 of 2002).
2. The Animal Slaughter and Animal Products Hygiene Act (Act 87 of 1967) soon to be replaced by the Meat Safety Act (Act 40 of 2000).
3. The Medicines Control Act ( Act 101 of 1965)
4. The Fertilizers, Animal Feeds and Remedies Act (Act 36 of 1947).
5. The Act on Veterinary and Para-veterinary Professions (Act 19 of 1982)
6. The National Environmental Management - Protected Areas Act (Act 57 of 2003 and amended by Act 31 of 2004).
7. The National Environmental Management - Biodiversity Act (Act 10 of 2004)
8. Veterinary Drug Control and Management for the Practicing Veterinarian in South Africa. Eds. GE Swan, RD Sykes, S Banco and V Naidoo, University of Pretoria
9. National Code:Transportation of Wildlife
10. National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (NBSAB)
JOURNALS (Relevant articles in the current issues and those of the last five years)
Journal of Wildlife Diseases
Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine
Library in your office
Browse journals, databases, websites, conferences and e-books through the University library and related services
Use Electronic resources > Databases > Wildlife Diseases on the UP Portal for specific searches. Scan the other available resources for relevant topics
Create specific ‘alert’ topics or ‘current awareness alerts’ in ScienceDirect or Scopus. The topics included should be discussed with the various study leaders and the course coordinator and should assist you to acquire current publications and information relevant to your study area
Get accustomed to store and use references in Reference Manager