The following research niche areas and themes serve as the driving force behind all research and postgraduate programmes and were chosen to establish, achieve and project an African uniqueness and to complement external expertise and technology:
- Veterinary aspects of food safety and food security
- Wildlife and Environmental Health
- Molecular studies on infectious and parasitic diseases of animals
- Phytomedicine and ethno-veterinary medicine
- Equine and companion animal health and welfare
- Anatomical and physiological studies on animals
All research protocols are submitted for approval by the Animal Use and Care Committee and the Research Committee in order to ensure ethical and scientific standards.