Values, Vision, Mission
The Departmental philosophy is that communication is a basic human right and essential to human well-being. This philosophy prescribes our conduct in terms of the following core values:
- respect for all persons;
- professional and personal responsibility for all actions;
- professional and personal integrity in all conduct;
- transparency throughout.
Within the mission and the vision of the University of Pretoria, the mission of the Department is to:
- provide excellent professional teaching and training;
- conduct locally relevant and internationally recognised research;
- promote and practise community involvement and social responsibility in prevention of communication disorders, and provide accountable intervention for individuals affected by resulting impairments;
- develop competent, life-long learners and ethically responsible professionals;
- contribute actively to the transformation of the profession in South Africa;
- develop and evaluate integrated, creative and innovative models of service delivery for the South African context;
- advance the science and practice of communication pathology.
The Department of Communication Pathology will:
- strive to distinguish itself as a centre of excellence in teaching, training and research in communication pathology;
- continue to commit itself to transformation, collaboration and local relevance in all its activities;
- endeavour to maintain and develop multi-level partnerships.