Consultative Workshop on Mediation
By Shirley de Villiers
Posted on 17 April 2012
On 5 April 2012 the Centre for Mediation in Africa, in collaboration with the United Nations Mediation Support Unit, hosted a consultative workshop on international mediation at the University of Pretoria.
The workshop aimed to contribute to the forthcoming report by the United Nations Secretary-General on the topic of effective mediation, as requested by the General Assembly in 2011 through resolution 65/283.
Topics covered included:
- The qualities of a good mediator;
- The key attributes of an effective mediation process, including during the design and implementation stages;
- Considerations for effective co-operation between different third-party actors involved in the mediation process;
- Vital elements of a successful peace agreement; and
- The contribution continuous mediation efforts can make to the effective implementation of a peace agreement.