Values, Vision and Mission
In 2006, the vision and mission of the Department of Psychology was reviewed. Central to the new vision and mission is the Department's aim to develop a strong cadre of intellectuals who have the cognitive skills to a make a contribution to a sound, functioning civil society and to the development of psychology as a science and a profession.
The Psychology Department aims to:
- equip our students with the proper values, quality skills and knowledge that will enable them to become competent in their professional careers and spheres of life;
- ensure that the programmes reflect a quality curriculum that is locally relevant and internationally competitive;
- ensure the provision of academic and general formative education to students that will assist them to function innovatively in a globalised, continuously changing and diverse environment;
- ensure that through our work performance, an inclusive and empowering organisational culture is developed;
- apply management practices and principles that support excellent performance in teaching, administration and research;
- encourage the development of research focus areas to enhance the culture of research and publication;
- develop and maintain academic research co-operatives and partnerships with local, regional and international institutions;
- contribute to building and sustaining community engagement through research.
To achieve this vision, the Department of Psychology aims to:
- be recognised nationally and internationally for quality contribution in teaching and learning, research and community work;
- be a professional home for diverse, competent and committed staff who are supported by efficient systems and procedures;
- become a catalyst for community development by adding value and making a contribution towards a sustainable community engagement in South Africa.