Values, Vision and Mission
The Department of African Languages strives to be:
- a leader in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching of African languages that is recognised nationally and internationally for academic excellence and a focus on quality;
- a Department that is known for international competitiveness and local relevance through continuous innovation and feedback of its latest research results into its lecturing programmes and modules;
- a Department of choice for students, staff, employers of graduates and those requiring research solutions;
- a Department with an inclusive and enabling, value-driven organisational culture, that provides an intellectual home for the rich diversity of South African academic talent ;
- a Department that acknowledges its prominent role in Africa and in particular South Africa with a high responsibility to community services and community development.
The Department of African Languages has the following mission:
- the training of high-level undergraduate and postgraduate students by ensuring that the teaching programmes are internationally competitive and locally relevant;
- the conducting of high quality research, making the Department internationally competitive and locally relevant;
- the development of academic and support staff to their fullest potential;
- the application of management principles, guidelines, processes and practices to maintain and improve excellent academic performance in teaching, research and administration;
- to ensure, through our work performance and service rendering, that values are pursued to the benefit of the individual, the University and the community we serve;
- to significantly enrich students with the unique added values offered to them by studies in the African languages.