Information on Applications for CPD Activities and Service Providers
The process of accrediting programmes and activities for CEUs is an on-going one which the accreditors are evolving in consultation with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA).
CPD in Psychology is no longer regulated by its own Board alone but has been brought, together with other professions, under the broader umbrella of the HPCSA. As such there may have to be some adjusting of accreditation within the CPD system as it has operated in the past.
This process of adjustment may take a period of time before it settles into a slightly modified system in line with the systems of fellow professions under the HPCSA.
We request the patience of the applicants in this process. What may be affected is the allotment of CEUs in terms of quantity, ratio of CEUs to activities, application requirements, support documentation requirements, and costing.
Presenters and attendess of all CPD activities must please note that the attainment of continuing education units (CEUs) does not licence any professionl to practice outside their official scope of practice. CEUs are intended to broaden the knowledge of professionals but do not constitute professional training.
The above disclaimer should also be placed on your promotional and/or workshop material.
Price Index for 2013
Please click here for the price index for 2013 with immediate effect.
Some of the issues we need to consider at this point are:
- CEUs for ethics in a wider programme should stay within a ratio of 5 points to every 30 CEUs
- Applications for ethics points should be strongly motivated for with accompanying documents showing the specific expertise of the applicants/presenters in the field of ethics
- Ethics CEUs are allocated in a ratio of 2 units per notional hour
- Ethics CEUs must always be discipline specific
- Ethics CEUs should be distinct and specific when presented within a broader programme
Applications should always be accompanied by the following:
- It is necessary in all cases to attach the content of the programme to the application, i.e. supply us with a detailed content outline, NOT just a list of the topics
- Detailed reference lists for reading material
- If reading is to be expected to be done by the audience prior to the activity/programme, please attach the complete reading material list
- CVs of applicants / presenters and all co-presenters as well as their professional registration numbers and the names of their professional accrediting bodies should accompany all applications
- Cross discipline applications need to indicate how the members of the psychology profession will benefit from the activities/programmes.
- Assessments of the content of the activities where this will be intended
- Evaluation forms for the presentation to be completed by the audience
- Attendance lists to be used
- Please refer to the HPCSA Guidelines for submission (below)
Committee Meeting Dates:
- The committee responsible for CPD accreditation sit twice a month mostly on Fridays (but could change last minute do to other departmental responsibilities)
- Please submit applications well in advance (at least two months prior to your activity) as all applications will have to wait in line in the order in which they are received
- After mid-November of each year NO applications will be evaluated until February of the following year, due to University end of year commitments.
Guidelines for Submission of CPD Activities
- Applicants must follow the guidelines of the HPCSA (Accreditor Guidelines and Health Care Professionals Guidelines) when completing applications and must ensure that applications are complete, and also provide a detailed overview of the programme of activities where appropriate.
- General CPD points will be awarded for content and/or contact (notional) hours and will not be awarded for activities such as lunch/tea etc.
- Accreditation fees will be charged according to the guidelines provided by the HPCSA and must be paid into the specific departmental account
Application Forms [click on the form, save and complete it by typing it]:
How to submit Application Forms:
- Complete the relevant application form (by typing it)
- Email all applications, check list and relevant documents (hours of activities, programme, detailed content, CVs of presenter(s) and etc.) to Roni Joubert on email@example.com
- DO NOT post / hand deliver the documents
Contact Details for more information: