Research interests: Organometallic Chemistry. Synthesis, materials, catalysts, drugs
Publications over the past five years:
1. Axial and equatorial carbene ligands of dimanganese and dirhenium monocarbene complexes: Synthesis, characterization and structural studies, D. Bezuidenhout, D.C. Liles, P.H. van Rooyen, S. Lotz* J. Organomet. Chem., 692 (2007) 774.
2. Synthesis, Characterization and Crystal Structures of di-Tungsten bis-Carbene Complexes linked by Condensed Heteroaromatic Spacers, S. Lotz*, M. Landman, H. Görls, C. Crause, H. Nienaber, A. Olivier, Zeitschrift für Naturforschung 2007, 62b, 1-8. Special issue dedicated to HG Raubenheimer.
3. The synthesis, structural features and melting properties of thiophene-containing dithiocarboxylate complexes of nickel(II), M.S. Thomas, D.C. Liles, M. Landman, E.M. van der Merwe, S. Lotz*, Polyhedron, 26 (2007) 3471.
4. Steric and Electronic effects of metal-containing substituents in Fischer Carbene Complexes of Chromium, D Bezuidenhout, E van der Watt, DC Liles, M Landman, S Lotz Organometallics 27 (2008) 2447-2456.
5. Substitution reactions of tetrahydrofuran in [Cr(thf)3Cl3] with mono and
bidentate N-donor ligands: X-ray crystal structures of [Cr(bipy)(OH2)Cl3] and [HpyNH2][Cr(bipy)Cl4], N Brennan, M Green, B. Blom, S Lotz, PH van Rooyen, M. Landman, DC Liles, M Green, Inorg. Chim. Acta. 361 (2008) 3042-3056. Special issue dedicated to R Angelici.
6. Synthesis and reactivity of metal carbene complexes with heterobiaryl spacer substituents, S Lotz, C Crause, AJ Olivier, DC Liles, H Goerls, M Landman, DI Bezuidenhout, Dalton Trans. (2009) 697-
68. Properties of homo-and heteronuclear mixed biscarbene complexes with conjugated bithiophene units, M Landman, J Ramontja, M van Staden, DI Bezuidenhout, PH van Rooyen, DC Liles, S Lotz. Inorg. Chim. Acta. 363 (2010) 705-717.
7. Thiophene decorated with Fischer carbene ligands, N A van Jaarsveld, DC Liles and S Lotz*, Dalton Trans., (2010), 5777-5779
8. Synthesis, Characterization, and Structural Studies of Multimetallic Ferrocenyl Carbene Complexes of Group VII Transition Metals, DI Bezuidenhout, S Lotz, M Landman, DC Liles, Inorg. Chem. 50 (2011) 1521-1533.
9. Rhenium ethoxy- and hydroxycarbene complexes with thiophene substituents. Simon Lotz?x, Marilé Landman, Andrew J. Olivier, Daniela I. Bezuidenhout, David C. Liles and Eric R. Palmer. Dalton, Trans. 40 (37) (2011) 9394–9403.
10. Recent advances in the field of multicarbene and multimetal carbene complexes of the Fischer-type.-Daniela I Bezuidenhout, Simon Lotz, David C Liles and Belinda van der Westhuisen Coord. Chem. Rev. submitted
Books and/or chapters in books (past 5 years):
1. Supramolecular Materials: Metal-Quinonoid Complexes, S.B. Kim, D. A. Sweigart, S. Lotz, in Encyclopedia of Inorganic Chemistry, Nanomaterials: Inorganic and Bioinorganic Perspectives, C. Lukehart, ed., J. Wiley & Sons, (2008) 775-788.
2. The synthesis and application of manganese tricarbonyl transfer (MTT) reagents, S.B. Kim, S. Lotz, S. Sun, Y.K. Chung, R.D. Pike, D.A. Sweigart in Inorg. Synth. (2010), 36, 114-120
Conference proceedings: (past 5 years)
Most recent an invitation to speak at the American Chemical Society Meeting at Boston, 22 August 2007
Speaker at the 23th International Conference of Organometallic Chemistry held in Rennes, France, July 18-23, 2008
Speaker at the 24th International Conference of Organometallic Chemistry held in Tapei, Taiwan, July 17-23, 2010 .
Most recent (2007): Invited speaker at International Symposium RheManTec, Bloemfontein, Nov 2007
Keynote at the National SACI Chemistry Convention held in December 2008 in Stellenbosch and invited lecturer at the 14th Inorganic Chemistry Conference(INORG2009) at the University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, September 2009.
Keynote speaker at CATSA Bloemfontein, November 2010