C: MAINTENANCE ENQUIRIES
1. Where do I report faults in my room?
- A book is situated in a prominent place in every residence building called "Request for Repair" where the fault can be reported. Registered faults are then sent to the various contractors for attention.
2. Will I get charged for repairs mentioned in 1.?
- You will not be charged in any way if the fault is normal "wear and tear" maintenance.
3. Can I hammer nails into the wall etc. to hang my pictures and stuff?
- Unfortunately not. Any damage, e.g. mails in the walls, paint damaged by double-sided tape or Prestik, will be charged to your account to recover the damages.
4. What utensils and equipment may I have in my room?
- This may vary from residence to residence, but basically you are allowed to have the following: 1) normal cutlery and crockery; 2) a 120-litre fridge/freezer unit; 3) kettle; 4) pop-up bread toaster; 5) 23-litre microwave oven; 6) iron; 7) 8-fin oil heater; 9) computer and sound system; 10) electric hair dryers and curlers.
5. Do I have to pay immediately for breakages debited to my account?
- Upon being accepted to stay at a University of Pretoria residence, your accommodation fees and a breakage deopsit fee are added to your account. Any damages that might be caused by you will be deducted from the breakage deposit fee.
6. What do I do if something breaks after hours?
- An after hours service is rendered by the University Security Services Department that will assist you when you call. They will then summons the relative contractor for the necessary repairs. This number is the 24-hour emergency number: 012 420 2310.
7. Do I get charged for after hour call-outs?
- You will not be charged if the problem is not your fault.
8. What are my occupation rights when allocated a room in a residence?
- We guarantee, as far as possible, your privacy and wish to create favorable conditions to promote a living, listening and learning environment at your residence.This goes along with well-maintained residence buildings and support staff to assist you while you stay with us.