The TuksAlumni Bursary Fund
The TuksAlumni Alumni Association, , founded as the Bond van Oud-Tukkies, years ago started raising funds for a bursary fund that would help meritorious students to study at their Alma Mater.
A) Information for donors and prospective donors
How can Alumni donate to the TuksAlumni Bursary Fund?
As a donor to the TuksAlumni Bursary Fund, you can help the cream of the country's young people obtain an excellent qualification at an esteemed university - the University of Pretoria . In this way donors (loyal Alumni of Tukkies) help to maintain the high standards of our Alma Mater.
Prospective donors may contact the TuksAlumni Office, tel ( +2712 ) 420-3086 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
These prominent former Tukkies support the TuksAlumni Bursary Fund:
- Dr Chris Stals - Former Chancellor of UP
- Dr Victor Hesse - Former Chairperson of the UP Council
- Dr Johan van Zyl - CEO of SANLAM
- Judge-President Frikkie Eloff - President of the Convocation
- Dr Piet Botha - Former Chairperson of the TuksAlumni Board and vice-chairperson of the UP Council
Objectives of the Fund
- To support meritorious students of UP by providing them with bursaries.
- To attract high-quality students to study at UP through this financial support and in this way to maintain the high standards of the University.
Why take part?
As soon as you contribute to the TuksAlumni Bursary Fund you could give a deserving student an opportunity to study - a gift that lasts a lifetime! You will also receive an Article 18A tax certificate should you not personally benefit from your donation.
How do I become a founder donor?
You can become a founder donor to the TuksAlumni Bursary Fund by donating a once-off lump sum of R1 000 or more. Only the first 1 000 donors will be regarded as founder donors. You can also give two equal donations of a minimum of R500 per semester. However, donations of any amount are also most welcome.
B) Information for students and prospective bursary holders
Who receives bursaries?
Any meritorious student in any field of study may apply for a TuksAlumni Bursary - which is valid for one year. Although not conditional, it will be taken into account when bursaries are awarded if the applicant's parent or gaurdian is an Alumnus/na.
TuksAlumni also makes bursaries available to postgraduate students in any field of study.
Minimum requirements for bursary applicants
- Applicants must:
- have matriculation exemption with at least a C average symbol;
- be admitted to UP;
- be selected for a particular course of study; and
- meet the UP Council's formula for financial neediness.
- Sex and race equality will be taken into account in the granting of bursaries.
- It may be expected from bursary holders to get involved with Alumni Relations during and after their studies.
- The amount of the bursary will be substantial but is limited to the full tution fee.
- Undergraduate bursaries are renewable on an annual basis.
- The term for which the student qualifies for the particular bursary, is determined by the minimum time as prescribed by General Regulation G18.3.
- Bursary holders who do not progress to the following study year, must complete this next study year at their own cost after which renewal of the bursary will be considered on the grounds of academic achievement and subjected to funds available.
- The bursary period of postgraduate bursaries is limited to the minimum prescibed bursary periods namely:
- Honours - one year;
- Masters - two years; and
- Doctoral - three years.
- UP staff members and/or their dependants who receive finacial assistance (e.g. staff discount, achievement bursaries ect.) from UP do not qualify for TuksAlumni bursaries.
Application and allocation procedures
Students should contact the UP CLIENT SERVICE CENTRE at tel +27 12 420 3111 or email@example.com and apply for the TuksAlumni bursaries on the UP Bursary Application Form under the section UP SUPPORT BURSARIES. Kindly state here that you apply for a TuksAlumni Bursary.
More information and application forms are available at http://www.up.ac.za/fao/. Enquiries can be directed to the Division: Study Finance at tel ( +2712 ) 420-2163.
- The University annually advertises the bursaries in the bursary brochure as well as in other advertisement material.
- Interested students apply on the standard UP bursary application form.
- A nomination list with suggested bursary amounts is compiled after the closing date and then considered by the Selection Committee.
- The general rules included in the brochure for study financing apply unless the brochure states otherwise.
- Applicants must oblige to the University's criteria for admission to the particular study programme.
- The criteria regarding payment of bursaries and the refunding of bursaries by bursary holders whose progress are not satifactory, are stipulated in the brochure for study financing under the heading General information on UP Study financing.
- A bursary grant for a particular year is refundable in total should the student interrupt, terminate or change the study course.
- Donation funds are invested and administrated by the Investment Committee of the University Council.
- The University annually reports to the TuksAlumni Board regarding these funds.
- Only donors who do not receive any benefits from their donations will be eligible for a Article 18A tax certificate.
Scope and frequency
- The fund is used for capital growth and, therefore, a maximum of 80% of the interest income is used annually for granting bursaries.
- The TuksAlumni Board decides how many bursaries will be awarded annually;
- Existing qualifying bursary holders enjoy preference in the granting of bursaries;
- The TuksAlumni Board decides (after taking the bursary holder's progress in account) whether a bursary will be continued for the next term or not.
Management of and selection committee of the TuksAlumni Bursary Fund
The TuksAlumni Bursary Fund is governed by the TuksAlumni Board and managed by UP's Division: Study Finance. The selection committee is formed by the TuksAlumni Board or a selection committee appointed by the Board. Bursaries are allocated in accordance with the TuksAlumni General Bursary Fund Policy as well as the TuksAlumni/Absa Bursary Fund Policy.
Alma Mater Fund discount
This is not a bursary but an ONCE OFF DISCOUNT of R1000 on a first-year student's tuition fees. Only students whose parents are members of Alumni's Alma Mater Fund are eligible.
Students whose parent(s) are members of the Alma Mater Fund (or the parents/members themselves) must apply for this discount on the prescribed form at the TuksAlumni Office in Kya Rosa. Proof of membership of the Alma Mater Fund should be at hand. The application should be done as soon as possible as it is not granted automatically and is also not valid after the student's tuition account has reached a zero balance. No money is paid out to members or students.
More information about the Alma Mater Fund available here.
Some of the TuksAlumni bursary holders for 2010 with UP staff members
and the Chairperson of the TuksAlumni Board, Rikus Immink, (left at the back).