News from the TuksAlumni Office
Alumni enjoy various events and functions
This first issue of the TuksAlumni-ePOS for 2010 contains the programme of events of the TuksAlumni Office and several clubs and interest groups for the year for the next few months. Some of the interest groups have already got together: the Food and Wine Guild held its customary Valentine’s dinner and the AmaTuks Supporters’ Club now has a formal structure after a committee was selected in January. Also read more about the Tukkie Credit Card and how it could benefit your Alma Mater with no extra cost to you.
Alumni breakfast in Hermanus
On Friday, 18 December 2009, 128 alumni met for breakfast at the beautiful La Vierge in the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley. Mr Rikus Immink, chairperson of the TuksAlumni Board, was the speaker at the event. What made the function very special was that it was attended by six Laureate recipients: Mr Chris Barnard, Dr Colin Cameron, Prof Geoffrey Falkson, Ms Katinka Heyns, Prof Dawie Kriel and Prof Walter Prozesky.
Laureate recipients: Walter Prozesky, Colin Cameron, Katinka Heyns
and Chris Barnard, Geoffrey Falkson, Elmarie Liebenberg (UP),
Rikus Immink (Chairperson:TuksAlumni Board) and Dawie Kriel.
Marga and Frans Boot and Marie Breedt of UP also attended the function.
Alumni function at Huis Herfsblaar
On 3 February 2010, members of the Alumni Office visited the old-age home Huis Herfsblaar. Some 53 Tuks alumni attended the function. Elmarie Liebenberg, Head: Alumni Relations, informed guests about the latest developments at the University, while Prof Eggie Gerryts informed them of the activities of Tuks Club 60+ and invited them to become members of the club. Afterwards, guests enjoyed some snacks.
Pieter de Beer and Winnie Roux from Huis Jan van den Berg and Jannie du Plessis.
Herfsblaar with Elmarie Liebenberg from the
Kya Rosa house concert with UP Camerata
The first house concert of the year featured one of the University’s own choirs – the UP Camerata. They entertained guests on 26 February 2010. The University of Pretoria Camerata was established on 19 March 1968, and celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2008. Its mission is to make a contribution to the cultural development of the student corps and the cultural enrichment of the community by means of choral singing. The choir was conducted by Christo Burger, who is also a composer and is well-known for his choral arrangements.
Food and Wine Guild holds its annual Valentine’s dinner
The Food and Wine Guild’s Valentine’s dinner on 12 February 2010 was once again a unique taste experience. Some 17 guests attended this year’s event, which was also attended by the new Vice-Chancellor and Principal, Prof Cheryl de la Rey. JC le Roux provided the wines for tasting, and its Sauvignon Blanc was paired with a cherry and granadilla sorbet, La Vallée with a mango sorbet and La Vallée Rosé with a strawberry sorbet. After the tasting, guests were treated to a four-course dinner.
The Vice-Chancellor and Principal, Prof Cheryl de la Rey (second from left),
with Eldridge Johnson (left) and Mrs and Prof Oppel Greeff.
Jannie and Sunelle Rossouw enjoy a glass of sparkling wine.
Eersterust alumni function
Some 57 alumni attended a cocktail in Eersterust on Thursday, 26 November 2009. Prof Denver Hendricks, Director: Community Engagement, was well received as guest speaker. It was a first for Tukkies and alumni voiced their gratitude to the TuksAlumni Office and UP in making the effort to focus on them as a community.
It is planned to present more events in Eersterust and to take the Recruitment and Retention Department with on these visits.
Karin Fortune, Liesl Maasdorp and Nadia Human attended the function.
The AmaTuks Supporters’ Club
The AmaTuks Supporters’ Club took on a more structured form when the committee was elected on 27 January 2010. The portfolios are as follows:
- Mr Hamilton Makotoko – Chairperson
- Mr Koena Ngoepe – Secretary
- Mr Zodwa Mahlangu – Marketing and Public Relations
- Mr Jackie Mokgokoko – Treasurer
The club marketed all games played in the last season and attended the majority of them. The league is now closed, but the Nedbank Cup will start in April.
The Tukkie Card – a way to give without any cost to you
The University of Pretoria depends on outside sources for support, and the Tukkies MasterCard (issued and administered on behalf of UP by Absa Bank Ltd) has been devised as an easy way for alumni to make a personal contribution to the University without effort or cost on a regular and ongoing basis.
As an Absa credit cardholder, you’ll know that every purchase you make with your card represents hard cash for the University. Without any additional charge to the cardholder, Absa Bank Ltd gives the University an amount proportionate to every cardholder’s total spending each month. The Tukkies MasterCard is a special kind of credit card, dedicated to giving financial support to UP, one of Africa’s premier universities.
Application forms for the Tukkies MasterCard are available at all Absa branches, or electronically on the Absa website, www.absa.co.za. Please call 0861 11 44 11 or the TuksAlumni Office, tel 012 420 3912, for more information.
News from the TuksAlumni Clubs
For more information on any of the clubs, please contact Lynette Smith from the TuksAlumni Office at tel 012 420 2278 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuks Club 60+
Membership fees are R50 per person for the year. The programme for 2010 is as follows:
- 25 February Annual general meeting and lamb spit-roast at Uitspan picnic site
- 17 March Tuks Camerata
- 6 May Cultural visit
- 9 June Cultural visit
- 5 August Lunch-hour concert and lunch
- 29 August–3 September Kruger National Park experience, Letaba
- 7 October Sport day and spring lunch
- 10 November Year-end function
TuksAlumni Caravan Club
Membership fees are R50 per adult. The programme for 2010 is as follows:
- 20–31 January Nkwe
- 19–21 February Transmagalies
- 19–22 March Dube Game Lodge
- 23–27 April Tamboti Vreugde
- 21–23 May Umova Caravan Lodge
- 18–21 June Monateng
- 6–9 August Liracia
- 23–26 September Drie Berge
- 22–24 October Buffelspoort (ATKV)
- 12–14 November Klein Paradys – Brits
TuksAlumni Golf Club
Membership fees are R300 per golf player. The programme for 2010 is as follows:
- 27 February Tuks vs Pukke, Blyvooruitzicht Golf Course
- 6 March TuksAlumni Golf Championships, Pretoria Country Club (06:30)
- 14 March Tuks vs UPE, Irene Golf Course
- 4–16 May Davis Cup International, Royal Swazi, Swaziland
- 30 May Tuks vs UJ, Irene Golf Course (11:00)
- 30 July Engineering Golf Day (EBIT), Pretoria Country Club (tee-off from 11:00)
- 15 August Tuks vs Rhodes, Irene Golf Course (11:00)
- 12 September Davis Cup “The Mixed”, Pretoria Country Club (Sunday afternoon)
- 19 September Tuks vs Kovsies, Irene Golf Club (11:00)
- 7 October Tuks Club 60+ Sport and Golf Day, course to be confirmed
- 23 October TuksAlumni Golf Day, Pretoria Country Club (06:30)
- 29 October Johannesburg Regional Golf Day, Modderfontein Golf Course
- 7 November Tuks vs Maties, Wingate Golf Course
- 14 November Davis Cup National, Pretoria Country Club (afternoon)
TuksAlumni Roadrunners’ Club
The membership fees for 2010 are R300 per member, R280 for the second member of a family and R260 for the third member.
Make sure you diarise the following dates for the next three months.
- 1 March – Tuks vs Maties Varsity Cup, Stellenbosch
- 6 March – TuksAlumni Golf Championships, Pretoria Country Club
- 11 March – Tuks Athletics supporters’ event
- 11 March – Creative retirement seminar
- 17 March – TuksClub 60+: culture visit
- 18 March – Creative retirement seminar
- 14 April – Johannesburg Regional Committee AGM and function
- 15 April – TuksSport golf day, Bellville
- 16 April – TuksClub 60+: culture visit
- 23 April – Tuks Rugby Supporters' Club (TROK) lunch
- 29 April – Super Seniors brunch
- 6 May – TuksClub 60+: culture visit
- 7 May – Business breakfast
- 14 May – Food and Wine Guild
- 15 May – UP Open Day