What is the Plagiarism Register?
The University maintains a Plagiarism Register to enable the monitoring of offenders and ensure the consistent application of penalties. The Register is held and maintained by the Legal Office.
Students need to know that penalties can be serious enough to affect their academic progress. In extreme cases penalties could result in expulsion or failure to graduate at all.
- Lecturers complete the Form for the Reporting of Plagiarism Incidents.
- The information provided by the student will be checked by the Legal Office after the form has been submitted by the lecturer concerned.
- If the Legal Office is satisfied that the information provided by the student regarding previous incidents is truthful, it will confirm the incident as well as the penalty in a letter to the student.
- If the Legal Office is not satisfied with the information provided by the student, it will proceed with disciplinary steps against the student.
- A note of all allegations, the outcome and the penalty of all cases of plagiarism will be made on the student’s record.
- This information may be used by the University when it is asked to provide a reference for the student.