TUKS CAMERATA - 45years of singing, sharing and fun
In 1968, a group of students who loved singing together decided to start an official choir under the name of the University of Pretoria. It is now more than 40 years later and nothing has changed. We are still a bunch of students who love singing together. We come from every field of study at the UP, including Medicine, Biological Sciences, Law, Engineering, Commerce, Music, IT and Drama. Interestingly, most of the choir members have not had any extensive musical training.
We have seen the world and have been on choir tours to places such as New York, Venice, Sydney and Zanzibar, to name but a few! We have sung at weddings, funerals, birthdays, inaugurations and international competitions, some have found their soul mates and lifelong friends in this choir.
Some of us are extroverted and loud; others quiet and reserved. Some leave too soon and others stay for five or more years, but the one thing we all agree on, is that this choir has changed our lives forever and we are grateful that we can be part of it.
Perhaps someone reading this article may never have heard of the TUKS Camerata, though others couldhave watched or even performed with us. Whatever the reason, please read on, so that you may get a better idea of who we are.
International concert tours include: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Britain, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Italy, Kenya, Latvia, Namibia, Netherlands, Republic of China, Russia, Singapore, South America, Sweden, Tanzania, United States of America, Zanzibar and Zimbabwe.
Among the highlights of the choir are the following:
- 1993, International Roodepoort Eisteddfod, South Africafirst Prize for Mixed Choirs
- 1994, Tallin Choir Festival, Estonia, First Prize for Mixed Choirs.
- 1996, Fourth International Symposium on Choral Music, Sydney, Australia Guest Choir.
- 1999, International Choral Competition for Advent and Christmas music, Prague, Czech
Republic, category winners and overall winner of the competition.
- 2001, SNK International Choral Competition Arnhem, Netherlands, second prize for mixed
- Singkreis Porcia International Choral Competition, Spittal, Austria, Winner
- 2002, 6th World Choral Symposium, Minneapolis, United States of America, Guest Choir
- 2006 Concert tour to East Africa
- 2007 46th C.A. Seghizzi International Choral Competition, Gorizia, Italy. Best Conductor, Best
performance of a prescribed work and first place in the Jazz and Pop Category.
- 2009, release of latest CD A Reign of Rest.
Works of a larger scope that have been performed include Missa Criolla (Ramirez), Messiah (Hndel), Weihnachtsoratorium (Bach), Missa Solemnis (Mozart), ein Deutsches Requiem (Brahms), Cantus Missae (Rheinberger), Mass in E minor (Bruckner), Requiem (Faur), Requiem (WA Mozart), Carmina Burana (Orff), Lobgesang (Mendelssohn) and St Cecilia Mass (Gounod).