Supervised Exercise Sessions
Clinic Coordinators: Danielle and Tracey Steenkamp
The biokinetics gymnasium of the Institute for Sports Research (ISR) accommodates individuals with orthopaedic, cardiac, metabolic, neurological, psychological and other health-related problems. It also accommodates individuals who would like to enhance their general health and fitness. Prior to joining the gym, the client undergoes a complete biokinetic evaluation conducted by a registered biokineticist, which includes
- completing a medical history questionnaire together with the biokineticist;
- taking CHD risk assessment measurements, namely body mass index, waist circumference, waist to hip ratio and fat percentage;
- pulmonary function test;
- flexibility measurements; and
- a graded exercise test.
Following the evaluation, an exercise programme is designed and prescribed for the client. The results obtained from the evaluation, as well as the client’s health status and needs and goals, are taken into account when the programme is designed, thus allowing for an individualized programme. Clients then join the supervised exercise sessions during which a registered biokineticist monitors their exercise techniques, blood pressure and heart rate (if necessary) before, during and after each session. This provides the client with a safe and supervised environment in which to train.
Benefits of exercise:
- Reduces the risk of heart disease by improving blood circulation
- Keeps weight under control.
- Improves blood-cholesterol levels
- Prevents and keeps high blood pressure under control.
- Prevents a reduction in bone mineral density.
- Boosts energy levels.
- Helps manage stress.
- Releases tension.
- Improves the ability to fall asleep quickly and to sleep well.
- Improves self-image.
- Counters anxiety and depression, increases enthusiasm, optimism and muscle strength.
- Provides a way to share an activity with family and friends.
- Establishes good heart-healthy habits in children and counters the conditions that lead to heart attack and stroke later in life.
- Helps to delay or prevent chronic illnesses and diseases associated with ageing.
Morning Supervised Exercise Sessions Times:
Evening Supervised Exercise Sessions Times: