The Constitutional Tribunal
- Justice for students by students -
“Fiat Justitia - let justice be done”
Purpose and function
The Constitutional Tribunal (formerly known as the Student Court) is the judicial arm of student governance at the University of Pretoria.
The Constitutional Tribunal is responsible for the election of the SRC, disciplinary hearings, the resolution of student disputes, inter society disputes and SRC constitutional matters. Constitutional Tribunal judges are well trained, final and pre-final year law students with a passion and respect for students’ rights and justice. The Tribunal is an independent, impartial objective body, which is there to ensure that the rights of the student population are upheld and protected.
Information and guidance
Students should feel free to contact the Constitutional Tribunal for information or guidance on any of the following matters:
· Student rights
· SRC elections
· Disciplinary hearings procedures
· Any other student governance query.
Dispute with a society
If you have a dispute with a society, the Constitutional Tribunal specifically has the capacity to chair:
· Mediations: Where both parties to a dispute approach the Tribunal to assist them in negotiations with the aim of settling the dispute. The Tribunal judge does not make a binding order in a mediation; and
· Adjudications: Where the parties to a dispute require the Tribunal to hear a matter and make a binding order at the conclusion of the proceedings.
For more information on your student rights, the functioning of the SRC and the Tribunal's functions, please:
· Download the Amended Constitution for Student Governance
· Download the Constitutional Tribunal Constitution
To institute proceedings, please:
· Download the Institute Proceedings Form
Deputy Chief Justice
By appointment: Refilwe Lechaba on firstname.lastname@example.org
Application to serve as a judge on the Constitutional Tribunal
Applications for 2014 are now open. Click on the 'Applications 2014' tab on the top left corner for full details and selection criteria.
· Download: Application form and details